• Loading stock data...

Victoria Island traffic Enters Day Two as Sanwo-Olu, Umahi Apologise for Bridge Closure

Victoria Island, Ikoyi, and Lekki residents faced a second day of intense traffic following the unplanned closure of Bonny Camp Bridge.
VIctoria Island traffic

Traffic congestion in the Victoria Island, Ikoyi, and Lekki axis of Lagos State persisted for a second consecutive day, causing widespread frustration among commuters and motorists. The bottleneck stemmed from the sudden closure of the Independent Bridge at Bonny Camp, which commenced on Tuesday for emergency repairs.

The unannounced bridge closure caught residents and road users by surprise, triggering chaotic scenes across the Island. Vehicles were gridlocked for hours, with many drivers running out of fuel, battling overheating engines, and fearing attacks from hoodlums due to prolonged standstills in unsafe areas.

Amid growing public outrage, both Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and Minister of Works Dave Umahi visited the bridge on Thursday to assess the situation. While Umahi ordered the immediate reopening of the bridge and pledged to remain in Lagos until Sunday to oversee remediation, Sanwo-Olu admitted communication failures and took full responsibility for the mishap.

Sanwo-Olu said, “It was due to inadequate communication, and I take full responsibility. Work had already started on the bridge, and it was assumed that people were aware.” He also suggested that residents explore remote work options over the coming weeks to ease the burden on the roads.

In the meantime, the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) deployed 600 officers and 90 guards to ease traffic on key routes. The state government also issued alternative routes for affected motorists while urging the public to remain patient as the Federal Ministry of Works completes the rehabilitation.

Minister Umahi expressed regret over the bridge closure, stating it occurred without his knowledge or approval. He noted that the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos acted independently and promised disciplinary action to prevent such unilateral decisions in the future.

Umahi acknowledged the severity of the gridlock and admitted the bridge could have been rehabilitated using less disruptive methods. “If we’re to do this properly, there would have been a different kind of method deployed and wouldn’t have necessitated the total closure,” he said.

He also announced a three-day plan for temporary restoration, with the bridge expected to reopen by Sunday.

The gridlock sparked a wave of public frustration. Popular comedians like Mr. Macaroni and Nasboi voiced their dissatisfaction on social media, highlighting the lack of planning and communication.

Motorists shared harrowing experiences of spending up to 10 hours in traffic or abandoning their vehicles to trek home. Some were stranded well into the early hours of the next day, while others, like a commuter heading to the airport, were quoted exorbitant fares N50,000 for a bike ride to Ikeja.

Residents like Precious Iheanacho and Igwe Amarachi shared their ordeal of being stuck in one spot for hours or trekking long distances due to the absence of buses.

Governor Sanwo-Olu and Minister Umahi have pledged to ensure the situation is not repeated. Sanwo-Olu also hinted at more traffic enforcement officers being deployed and urged the public to explore virtual work options, especially for non-essential trips to the Island.

With repairs scheduled to be completed by the end of April and a temporary fix expected by Sunday, Lagos residents are hoping for a swift resolution to the gridlock and better planning from authorities in the future.

Stay tuned to 9am News Nigeria for more Breaking News, Business News, Sports updates And Entertainment Gists.

Trending

Trending

Enzo Fernandez Fires Chelsea Back Into Fourth With 1-0 Win Over Tottenham
Asake’s ‘Lungu Boy’ Named Best-Performing Album of 2024 by TurnTable Charts
Breaking News: Tinubu Sacks NNPCL CEO Kyari Appoints Bashir Ojulari as CEO
Iyabo Ojo’s Labake Olododo Becomes Nollywood’s Second-Largest 2025 Debut
Scroll to Top